How to reduce background noise on mic Windows 10 ?
Have you ever faced the situation when you work hard to make a perfect video or audio recording, but find your recording is corrupted with noise?
Many people make videos and audio recording for YouTube, video tutorials, and many more. Noise reduces the quality of your recording and your hard work will not be paid off. This is a pretty rough situation.
But don’t worry. I will tell you how to fix that problem. Before that, let me tell you brief about background noise and its source.
Background noise is unwanted noise which is captured during the recording of video or audio. It is the sound other than the original desired voice. It is also known as ‘Ambient Noise ‘. This is also considered as an element of noise pollution. Mainly these noises come from rotation of ceiling fan, alarm clock, neighborhood noise, road traffic noise etc. These background noises can be removed from recording in many ways. You can do it by certain specific settings of system, using some kind of software or following precautions. I am going to tell you all of these procedures.
- Reducing background noise by specifying the settings :
On your PC with Windows 10 as Operating System, you can simply check the settings of the system for better recording. Here are the steps:-
- Go to ‘Start‘ and click on ‘Control Panel‘.
- On the ‘Control Panel’ window, select ‘Hardware and Sound‘ option.
- After that, the ‘Hardware and Sound’ window will be opened. Click on ‘Sound‘ option.
- You will see a pop-up window will open. At the top, just find the ‘Recording‘ tab and click it. There you will find a list of the recording devices. Go for ‘Microphone‘ option.
- Now right click on ‘Microphone’ option and select ‘Properties‘.
- A popup dialogue box will open. Select ‘Levels‘ tab. Here make the ‘Microphone’ level 100. If you want to increase the sound, you can also make the ‘Microphone Boost’ to +10.0 dB.
- After the step 5), select ‘Enhancements‘ tab. Here tick the ‘Noise suspension‘ and ‘Acoustic echo cancelation‘. If your system does not have those above mentioned options, then tick on the box to disable the special sound effects.
- Now finally press ‘OK‘.
So all the settings are ready. Now you can record your desired video or audio.
- Removing Background noise using software :
After doing everything possible to keep the background noise minimum, there is still a possibility that your recording has some noise. You can use some softwares to reduce the noise from recording. For example, you can use ‘Audacity‘ software. This is free to use. Here are the steps.
- If you don’t have this software, then download it from this website— Audacity . Now open the application from your PC.
- Then click on ‘File‘ option from top left corner and select ‘Import‘.
- Now click on ‘Audio‘. A popup window will open. Here in the ‘Look in‘ section, enter the location of your recording. Find and select the file and click ‘Open‘.
- Next you select the section of the noise profile you want to reduce the noise. So left-click on the starting point and drag the mouse pointer to the ending point of the section of the audio.
- Now click on the ‘Effect‘ tab.
- A from the list, choose ‘Noise Reduction‘. A popup window will open. Click on ‘Get Noise Profile’. Doing this, you will be able to recognize the noise in your file.
- Now again select the ‘Effect‘ tab and click on ‘Noise Reduction‘. Repeat this process until you get desired quality. If you find any mistake, then simply go to ‘Edit‘ tab and click ‘Undo‘.
- Now go to ‘File‘ and select ‘Export‘. Save the changes.
There are many other similar types of software like Oceanaudio, Wavosaur, AV Audio Editor, WavePad etc.
- Some tips and precautions :
Now I am going to discuss about some precautions to follow and some tips.
- High quality microphone: If you want your recording quality high, then you should go for high quality mic. Here I have mentioned some branded mic for PC. Like Blue Snowball — This can be used for any type of vocal recording, YouTube videos, Podcasting etc; easy to use; takes small space. On online shopping, the starting price is about 5000/-. Now basically everyone loves to use this. There are also Blue Snowflake, CAD U37, Floreon BM 800, Apogee Mic 96k etc.
- Use pop-filter: This is a tool used to eliminate popping sound due to fast-moving air. These are some good quality pop filters you can use — Nady MPF–6, Stedman Corporation Proscreen XL, Avantone PS-1 PRO-SHIELD etc.
- You should turn off the ceiling fans or table fans, AC, radio, TV, washing machine and any noisy instruments inside and around your recording room. You should choose a room where none is inside. Keep the door and window closed. It is better to find a room where neighborhood noise, traffic noise are minimum. So you can record during night when your place gets quieter. Always speak directly to the mic.
- When you are using electronic items, there is always presence of electromagnetic interference. Electronic components radiate electromagnetic waves. So Electromagnetic induction from every electronic instruments which are close to each other. This also creates background noise in recording. So make sure that there are as less electronic equipments near your mic. Also don’t keep the headphone wires or any current carrying wires passing through or overlapping with your mic wires.
- You can use windshield to reduce the noise due to wind interference.
- Using noise-canceling software is also a very good idea to minimize the background noise. You can use it to chat with friends while gaming, for online meeting while you are surrounded by inevitable noise or for recording while raining or ceiling fan is running. Like you can use DSP Soundware — it uses Adaptive Noise Canceling algorithm to eliminate background noise; Noise Gator — it can be used to eliminate background noise while talking with other on Skype.
I have mentioned most of the possible ways to reduce background noise on mic on Window 10. Read this article thoroughly to learn the procedure of settings, following the precautions and tips, try the softwares for better results. This may or may not remove or eliminate the background noise properly. But I can assure you this methods will help you to minimize the background noise to effective extent.